What is 'School Readiness'?

Next week the parents of my room, my centre director and I, are gathering for an evening to discuss 'School Readiness', what this looks like to each of us and generally shaping out our expectations for each other and our children for this year.

Some might think it's a bit early in the year to be reflecting upon the idea of 'School Readiness' however, in respect for the relationships shared between educator and parents, it is important that the community of people who have an influence on the early years development of our children are communicating effectively, are on the same page and are working together to support our children.

In preparation for this gathering, I have been reflecting on my own beliefs and values to gain clarity and find meaning for why I believe what I do. I keep coming back to the importance of viewing our children as whole, holistic beings.

'School Readiness' to me looks very holistic in nature and this mirrors my belief that children..all people for that matter..are holistic beings. 'School Readiness' should reflect this. Our guiding Queensland Kindergarten Curriculum supports this outlook, and our practice is based on five different developmental outcomes that look at key dimensions of a whole. However, interpretations and how the curriculum is implemented is very open to difference so I am lucky that my personal views align with those of my centre and my colleagues.

I am a massive believer in the idea of readiness. At times I feel saddened by the link between the Kindergarten year and the demand to shift focus towards a more traditional approach to numeracy and literacy. There seems to also be an obvious step away from the value placed on learning through play and a child's own display of readiness at this time. I am a huge believer in the value of play and this shift is, at times, heart breaking.

Like I said earlier, I am quite lucky because the centre I belong to has similar holistic values and our local school's view on 'School Readiness' is a very grounded and holistic one as well. There is no emphasis on the academic at the expense of other areas of development. I am also lucky because the parents of our room are also very supportive, open and appreciative of this notion as well.

This valuing of the academic over the social child, the emotionally secure child, the creative child, the kind child, is what is wrong with many education systems. I do not devalue the academic child, I simply question the placement of value on the academic over all else. Yes we need to learn to read and write and count in order to participate in our world. Yet we also need to be creative, to solve problems, to participate, communicate, make friends, look after our selves and belongings and also to be empathetic and kind. We are not just walking brains. We are not all ready at the same time either.

When we place greater value on any one area of development, we run the risk of robbing our children of opportunities to engage in experiences that challenge the child as a whole. We also risk a blindness to a child expressing their own readiness.

To me, each child who walks into their Primary School Classroom for the first time will be completely unique. Hopefully, each are children whom;

-can make a friend or two
-can identify his or her name so that belongings are easier to manage
-can help tidy up messes and spaces
-is kind, empathetic and can demonstrate manners
-will be ready to hold a pencil and show interest in using it to form markings that are at least beginning to look like emergent letters and numbers
-has some understanding of the difference between letters and numbers
-has an understanding of what numbers 0 through to 10 mean in regards to their value
-can wait short periods of time for attention (a class room is a busy space)
-can manage to open packages and containers independently for meal times
-can cope with toileting independently
-has had practice with items such as glue sticks and scissors

This is not a complete list of essential skills or knowledge sets nor are all of them compulsory. These are just examples of what skills and knowledge sets that I believe are helpful when considering  our children on their first day of Primary School. They can be learnt through play in a home, Pre-Prep or Kindergarten setting. Our local school has also identified many of these as things they believe, provide a good foundation for children successfully transitioning from the Early Childhood sector and into their Primary School years.


Jarome, at home, pointing out how many cupcakes are on his birthday wish list. 


While talking about writing a birthday wish list, Jarome asked if he could write his name first. "So that you know it's my list".
Jarome is just starting to demonstrate a readiness to draw letters. This readiness is demonstrated in his increasing interest.

I invite all who read this to share their own beliefs and perspectives regarding the idea of 'School Readiness' and what it may mean or look like to you.

Comments

Popular Posts