The Privilege of working with young children

Working with young children in their pre-schooling years, is a privilege.

I hold the role of an Early Childhood Educator, in very high regard.

Since entering into the Early Childhood sector in 2014, I have met many educators who do not value how truely important their role is, in the lives of young children, resulting in the inability to behave as a professional, or consider them selves professionals.

I recently read an article where, the author stated all of tasks an educator does in the day in order to prove how under valued and underpaid the sector is. However, after reading the article, I felt quite disappointed. There was so much care and kindness lacking in the article and no real feeling of respect for the true essence of the early years. Because of it's tone and approach, the article almost supported the idea-in which it stated it was against-of Early Childhood Educators as babysitters who entertain children.

With so many larger and more commercial centres popping up, 'box ticking' and 'entertaining' with depth lacking 'activities' seems to be more prevalent. In many cases, such centres are owned simply as a business venture, and often by individuals who have money but no prior experience in the education sector from a professional perspective.

My first experience working in an "Early Learning Centre" was a very draining and challenging one. I really struggled in many ways. I had moved into Early Childhood Education from the Primary sector and in this position, I felt like a cleaner and an entertainer of children. I felt this way because of the nature of where I worked. I worked in a centre licensed for a hundred and thirty plus children per day. I worked as an assistant in the "Pre-Prep Room" alongside a wonderful woman. I struggled through days with over thirty children occupying a shared learning space with only two educators and a floating educator who was in and out of our room. The expectations we had to meet completely violated the true essence of the early years. There is no way, two educators can meet the needs of thirty plus children every day. Caring needs nor, authentic learning needs. There is no way that many four to five year olds should be sharing one learning space. There is too much energy and not enough educator attention. In such a setting, parents are clients and children have a monetary value placed on their heads.

When I moved on, I was blessed to find a beautiful little space licensed for just over fifty children. I work for a wonderful woman who is supportive, passionate and who truely values the essence of the early years. My day is still busy however, it is beautifully busy. Never do I feel like I am "box ticking". I am challenged daily by the engagement in reflective conversations, I am provided with opportunities for professional growth, I share a work space with passionate colleagues, we provide authentic opportunities for our children as they connect with each other and their learning space. We support them as they investigate and make sense of their world, all the while, developing as little holistic beings. I believe in the importance of my role. It is a privilege. When working in a setting which respects the essence of childhood it is so easy to acknowledge that privilege.

When unpacking this privilege and the obligation of being a professional, I think of what my role involves and I think of what I do in order to be perceived as a professional.

As a Kindergarten Teacher, you are a role model. This demands a conscious state of being. How we communicate, how we treat others, how we engage with materials, what health choices we make. Everything about what we do has an influence upon the children we work with, and is most definitely being absorbed. In this essence, I truely believe in the importance and impact of role modelling kindness.

You also must be conscious about the learning space you create, reflect upon and change. You welcome your children into a learning space you have consciously designed to support their developmental needs and their interests. An environment designed to foster curiosity, intrigue and to encourage the ability for the child to take initiative over learning.

As a Kindergarten Teacher, you must nurture the relationships between your learning space and the families that make up the learning community. You must also document the learning journeys as they emerge, not for the sake of it, not for the sake of an audience but so that you, as an educator can share the learning taking place and also ensure you are planned and have momentum in the way in which opportunities are unfolded and resources are made available.

When I reflect on how I try to be a professional, I think of two things. How I behave and the obligation to professional development.

If you carry yourself as a professional and believe in your own value as an educator, this energy is transferred outward. If you believe you are of value, other's perceptions of you will shift towards this belief also.

Professional Development is essential. This shouldn't be restricted to offered courses and workshops. It should extend to taking the time and interest to read articles and texts written by people who have influenced the education sector and which inspire reflection and extension of your own practice. A knowledge of theories surrounding development and learning in the early years helps to ground us as educators and supports the many decisions we make about our children and their learning. Knowledge of theories promotes thought and critique, they allow us to be reflective and find purpose and reason in the choices we make. Without a deep knowledge base and without the urge to develop as a professional, we are uneducated in our field. We become uneducated educators who are not willing to learn, wanting to educate young children and foster a love of learning.

Working with children in their early years is a privilege. We have a duty to respect and value ourselves as educators and also respect and value the true essence of the early years.

When we believe we can become.


This is a photo of my beautiful Mum and myself. Mum is an amazing woman and a phenomenal educator. An amazing role model in life, motherhood and education.

Comments

Popular Posts